Ways to Get Ahead at Work
Work is more than something to pay the bills, or at least it should be if you are working in your desired career path. You want to be in a field that has potential to take you places throughout your life, a career that has room for advancement, and that means you need to be able to move ahead. Gaining that competitive edge is becoming harder and harder and you may be finding it difficult to show your superiors that you are ready to move up and take on more responsibilities. There are ways that you can help yourself achieve the high goals you are setting for yourself by demonstrating your ability to take on new and diverse assignments or by enrolling in classes such as a PMP boot camp to further your knowledge and skill sets. If you want to get ahead you are going to have to work at it! Here are some ways you can get started on your upward path to the top of your career.
Demonstrate Your Diversity
Being a good worker in your current role is not always enough to show management that you would be a good candidate for a higher position. Woman’s Day suggests that looking for opportunities to get involved with other projects that are beyond the scope of your current position. Do not be afraid to ask your boss for assignments outside of your job description, it will show your willingness to try new things and give you an opportunity to showcase your other skills and talents—it may even lead to a new job opportunity.
Think Like Your Boss
If you ever want to get ahead, you need to stop thinking like an employee and start thinking like a boss, says NorthJersey.com. If you really want to get a better grasp on what it is you need to do to get ahead than you need to put yourself into the shoes of your superiors and consider what it is they are looking for in an employee. What are your qualities that they already find appealing? How can you continue to build on those skills? What would management consider to be areas you need to improve on? Take those areas that need improving and really hone in on them and work on them. This will go a long way.
Be a Good Communicator
Stated bluntly, no matter your industry, you will not go very far if you are not a good communicator. That is in all sense of the words. You need to be a good listener, a good speaker, a good writer, and a good presenter. These are key skills to possess in any level of management and you need to work on these areas if you want to move ahead.
Continue Your Education
Moving up means always striving to improve not only your work but yourself as well. That means you should always be looking for opportunities to learn new things. If you are interested in becoming involved in some level of management, taking a PMP boot camp course to develop your project management skills is very valuable in any industry. This type of continued education will not go unnoticed with your superiors.
Moving ahead in your career is important, which is why you need to put a lot of effort into it. If you want to achieve great things than put in the time and effort and see how far it will take you.
Tim Loshe is a Human Resource Manager with over 25 years of industry expirience. In his free time, Tim enjoys blogging about various employee management tactics as well as employee motivation.
- Top 7 rockwell standard interview questions and answers(slideshare.net) Top 7 rockwell standard interview questions and answers by singres14 on Aug 25, 2013 0 views Uploaded via SlideShare as Microsoft Word Usage Rights Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate. If needed, use the feedback form to let us know more details.
- Build Career and Skills with CFP Course Certification(iifpmbaindia.wordpress.com) Certified financial courses (CFP) is becoming an ever increasing career boom option among the students as well as the professionals who are looking ahead to establish a strong financial career ahead. CFP courses are in huge demand now-a-days. Initially this course was not very popular among the students as well as does not promised to provide any.
- TOP MOST Reasons Not To Hire Competent PEOPLE(successinindustrry.wordpress.com) TOP MOST Reason Not To Hire Someone Who Is Competent Is Lack Of Motivation To Do The Actual Work Required. However, motivation to do the actual work isn’t easy to measure during the course of the traditional interview for three big reasons. First, the actual work is rarely defined in enough detail, and most people won’t give it 110% unless they…
- Four ways to keep up and get ahead in your career(makingfutures.wordpress.com) Jobs change when technology changes. Is your job the same as it was when you were hired? Few of us take a job and remain in that job for our whole career. Even if we did, the job will probably change. New technology, innovation and efficiency change how we do our work. So how do you keep up? Here are a few of the many ways to keep abreast of…
- How Dramatic and Defensive is Your Personal Brand?(personalbrandingblog.com) As you may know, I have the great honor of teaching for a major university in a special program to re-launch young managers who have not been successful in their careers. Either their jobs have simply gone away, they’ve been eclipsed by someone better prepared or somehow just not made the inroads they needed to get ahead.
- 5 Ways To Get Your CEO to Notice You(talgroupinc.wordpress.com) Human ambition is a natural characteristic, and many of us struggle with how we can move our career forward at the speed we would like. Especially in a modern economy that is struggling, finding one’s dream job and excelling quickly presents quite a challenge. Competition is higher than ever, and there is never a shortage of keen, bright coworkers..